- 450 grams bacon
- 150 grams garlic, sliced
- 150 grams shallot, sliced
- 150 grams butter
- 12 cups milk
- 900 grams Idaho® russet potato, peeled and diced
- 18 grams salt
Seared Red Potatoes
- 750 grams Idaho® red potatoes, baked
- 45 grams grapeseed oil
- 750 grams Idaho® yellow potatoes, baked
- 60 grams butter
- 60 grams shallot
- 20 grams garlic
- 150 grams bacon, chopped and precooked
Brown Butter Crab Legs
- 900 grams crab leg meat
- 300 grams butter
- 150 grams purple Idaho® potato fingerlings
- 150 grams yellow Idaho® potato fingerlings
- 150 grams red Idaho® potato fingerlings
- Sliced scallion, as desired
- Bacon, chopped, as desired
- Dried parsley, as desired
- Heat a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-9 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel, keep bacon fat in the stockpot.
- Melt butter in stockpot. Add garlic and shallot and cook, stirring frequently, until shallot become translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, milk and salt.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Once potatoes are cooked, let cook for a few minutes and then blend using an immersion blender. You can also blend the mixture with a blender or a food processor.
- Reserve hot.
Seared Red Potatoes:
- Cut cooked potatoes in half lengthwise and slice into 1/4 inch thick pieces. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oils. Add potatoes and cook, undisturbed until potatoes are golden and crispy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Season with salt and reserve warm.
- Heat a medium saute pan over medium high heat. Add butter, shallot and garlic into the pan, stirring frequently until shallots become translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Melt butter in stockspot. Add garlic and shallot and cook, stirring frequently, until shallot become translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Cut yellow potatoes in half lengthwise and sliced into 1/8 inch thick pieces. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oils. Add potatoes and cook, undisturbed until potatoes are golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add bacon to the mixture and remove from heat.
- Place potato mix into a bowl and mash with the back of a fork.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Reserve hot.
Brown Butter Crab Legs:
- Melt butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add butter and stir frequently. Continue to cook the butter.
- Keep cooking the melted butter until it foams up. Carefully watch as the lightly browned specks begin to form at the bottom of your pan. The butter should be aromatic and have a nutty aroma.
- Once you have your brown butter, place crab meat into the sauté pan and gently roll the meat in the brown butter and turn the heat to low. Keep rolling the crab meat gently for 2-3 minutes, until warmed all the way through.
- Reserve and hold warm.
- Preheat oil to 330°F.
- Thinly slice the potatoes and place in a bowl (separate by color).
- Add the potatoes to the hot oil. Fry in batches until crispy, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the chips from the oil and drain on a paper towel and season with salt.
- Add potato ecrasee on the bottom of the plate, 3 spoonfuls.
- Add Crab, ¼ cup of crab.
- Add 3 slices of red potato.
- Pour ¾ cup of chowder into the bowl.
- Place 6 slices of scallion on top.
- Top with fingerling potato chips to cover.
- Sprinkle dried parsley.