Potato Cakes with Mint Chutney
Mint Chutney Ingredients
- 1 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup packed fresh cilantro (leaves and tender stems)
- 1 green serrano chile, stemmed and chopped (remove seeds if you want a milder chutney)
- ¼ small red onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
Potato Cakes Ingredients
- 2 medium Idaho® Russet potatoes, scrubbed
- ½ cup frozen baby green peas
- ¼ cup fine dry bread crumbs or panko
- 1 tablespoon red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red chile powder
- vegetable oil
Mint Chutney Directions*
- Combine the mint, cilantro, chile, onion, lemon juice, salt, and 2 tablespoons water in a blender. Process to a smooth paste, adding more water if necessary.
- Transfer to a covered container and chill for about 20 minutes.
- Serve cool. Refrigerate any leftovers and use within 2 days.
Potato Cakes Directions
- Place the potatoes in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until easily pierced with a knife. Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Add the peas and cook till tender. Drain and keep aside.
- Peel the potatoes, cut into chunks, and mash in a large bowl until no lumps remain Add the peas, cumin, bread crumbs, onion, cilantro, cumin, and chile powder and mix gently. Taste and mix in salt as needed.
- Grease or wet your hands. Divide the potato mixture into 8 to 10 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball, then flatten it into a small round cake. Set aside on a platter in a single layer.
- Line another platter with paper towels. If you will be cooking the cakes in batches, heat the oven to low (about 300ºF).
- Place a medium skillet on medium heat and add 4 to 5 tablespoons oil. When the oil begins to shimmer, add as many cakes as you can fit without crowding the pan.
- Fry for 1 to 2 minutes, till golden brown on the bottom. Carefully flip the cakes and cook another 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the cakes from the skillet and place on the paper towels to drain lightly. If cooking a few cakes at a time, transfer to a sheet pan and keep warm in the oven. Continue till all the cakes are cooked, adding more oil to the pan if necessary.
- Serve hot, topped with the mint chutney.